This is my go to tomato sauce recipe. I often peruse the bargain bins at Berkeley Bowl and anytime there are tomatoes I make this sauce and just store it in the freezer for later.
Roasted Tomato Sauce
8-10 Tomatoes halved or quartered (Roma, Beefsteak, Campari, etc)
1 onion sliced
5-6 garlic cloves chopped
1-2 Tbsp fresh or dried herbs
(Thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, etc. Whatever you have on hand)
1/4 -1/2 cup olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 350F
2) Spread out tomatoes, onions, garlic and herbs on a cookie sheet in one even layer
3) Sprinkle with salt and pepper
4) Coat with olive oil. Give the mixture a good toss
5) Roast in oven for 45-60 minutes
6) Blend the roasted goodness together
7) Adjust seasonings to taste.
*** Sometimes if I find it to be to acidic a bit of sugar can remedy that.
8 ) Eat now or save it for later.