This is a cool alternative to your traditional lasagna without the pasta noodles making it gluten and grain free! It also works really as a make ahead dish wish you can just pop in the oven whenever you’re ready.
Primal Turkey Eggplant Lasagna
2 medium sized eggplants sliced (1/2 in thick) lengthwise
1 lb ground turkey (or protein of your choice)
1 Tbsp bacon fat or fat of choice (FOC)
3 cups of marinara or tomato sauce
8 oz of full fat ricotta cheese
2-3 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
2 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1) In salted boiling water blanch eggplant slices until just soft ~ 4 min
2) Remove and set aside.
3) Melt your bacon fat in a pan and brown the ground turkey. Be sure to break it up with a wooden spoon.
4) Add tomato sauce to turkey and mix together. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste
5) Don’t eat it yet. I had a problem with this step : )
6) Add coconut flour to thicken the sauce.
* Don’t worry if it starts to look dry. During the baking process excess liquid from the eggplant will thin it out.
7) In the bottom of a baking pan make a single layer of eggplant.
8) Spread an even layer of ricotta cheese just so it covers the eggplant
9) Spread a layer of meat sauce!
10) Repeat until you are out of layers. (I only had 2 full layers)
11) Take the fresh mozzarella slices and layer on top of your last sauce layer. Grate some parmesan.
12) Cover in foil and bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
* This is a good stopping point if you don’t want to cook it right away. Just stick it in the fridge covered in foil
13) Remove foil and broil the top for the last 5 minutes.
14) Now you may eat.