This is the gravy I made for Turkey Fest 2011. The kicker is the pureed giblets and turkey skins. It’s definitely a make ahead dish, but think of all the time you’ll save on the day of right?
Grain Free Gravy
2 turkey thighs
2 turkey legs
1 turkey neck (you could probably use more, but this is what I had)
1 sack of giblets from your bird
3 carrots chopped
4 celery stalks chopped
1/2 an onion chopped
Handful of fresh herbs of your choosing, chopped
*I used thyme, oregano, and sage because that is what I had
3 Tbsp arrowroot powder
Splash of red wine vinegar (or other acid)
1) Preheat your oven to 425 F
2) Lay out all of your turkey parts in an even layer on a cookie sheet
3) Scatter 1/2 of the veggies over the meat bits
4) Sprinkle salt, pepper, and herbs evenly
5) Coat everything with a healthy, but not overzealous amount of olive oil and toss together
6) Roast in the oven for 1 hour
7) When done remove the meat from the bones for your eating pleasure. Take the bones, neck and remaining veggies and add to a stock pot.
8) Scrape up all the drippings, brown bits and giblets. Set aside for later
8) Add enough water to the stock pot just to cover all the fixins, bring to a boil, and simmer on low for 2 hours.
9) Let the stock cool and strain it.
10) Take the drippings, giblets, and skin which was in the stock pot and blend it all together
12) Put the blended drippings and skin mixture into the bottom of a large sauce pan and heat on medium
13) Whisk in the arrowroot powder and let cook for 1 minute
14) Slowly add the strained turkey broth into the sauce pan in 1/2 cup increments until desired thickness is reached.
15) Add red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste
16) Let simmer for 10 minutes and Enjoy!